Monday, August 10, 2015

World Lion Day

I know nothing about astrology but I've always enjoyed being a Leo, a big bonus for someone born in the Year of the Tiger, according to the Chinese Zodiac. Lions, of course, have fallen on hard times, with diminishing populations and the recent scandal involving a Minnesota dentist who killed Cecil the Lion.

Using a dead animal for bait, hunting guides lured Cecil to private land from his usual home, Hwange National Park, a preserve in Zimbabwe, where a bow hunter shot and pursued him for 40 hours before killing him off with a rifle shot. Twin Cities news media identified the hunter as a Bloomington dentist, and the story soon went viral. Like most Minnesotans, I was horrified and chagrined that one of our own could murder Cecil and other endangered animals.

I felt a little less disheartened this morning when I read that today is World Lion Day, and I enjoyed looking at these beautiful lion photographs. It is also my 65th birthday, and it seems like a good time to be grateful for all these years of life and the prospect of good days ahead. Today is a milestone of sorts and I have a brand new Medicare card to prove it.

As is almost always the case on August 10, the sun is shining and the weather is beautiful. It's a good day to share with the King of the Jungle.

No comments: