Monday, May 27, 2024

SPRING AGENDA - THORACIC SURGERY 05.24.24: T+3 - Memorial Day


Beautiful flowers from my brother Allan and sister-in-law Laurel yesterday. They really gave me a big lift on what could have been a challenging day.

I didn't do too much but was happy to walk around the west Upper 9th Place oval a couple of times for a grand total of about a quarter of a mile. Just a start, I guess. I don't want to be out in a crowd because of the risk of getting a cold or other virus, so I'm going to limit activity for a while. Yes, I should wear a mask but it's hard with glasses and I tend to hyperventilate, so it's out for now. Bob and I did get to Lund's & Byerly's, which was almost empty in mid-afternoon. Back to Mass next Sunday.

I woke up laughing at 2 AM, thinking about the first question I got about pain in the hospital. For some reason I didn't answer with the expected number between 0 (no pain) to 10 (worst pain ever), and got a strange look when I said it was llike I'd been hit by a baseball bat. A minute or so later, I revised the weapon to a golf club. Last night I felt "slashed by a machete" but am quite well just after 9 AM and the pain is very manageable, between 2 and 3. For the record, thoughts of violent weapons really came out of nowhere -- just the product of a wild imagination. 

My first shower felt wonderful on this Memorial Day. I'm watching stories about those who served and paid the price of freedom. As he has done in the past, former NATO Supreme Commander James G. Stavridis paraphrased the last phrase of the national anthem: we live in the "land of the free because of the brave."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved that quote too. I had never heard that before, but it is so true. I got weepy watching the beautiful ceremony