Thursday, March 10, 2022

Seminole 2022 - George C. McDonough Nature Park

Pix.

I like finding new parks wherever we go. Some are great and others are a disappointment. McDonough Nature Park is one of the best! It's also known as Turtle Park, and the turtles are visible at the park entrance -- sunning on a little island, swimming around a bubbler, lounging on the rocks. Children and others are delighted.

Birds of prey (eagles, hawks, vultures, owls) injured in the wild, rehabbed incompatible with a life "on release", are displayed in large enclosures. Seeing these majestic birds in captivity always makes Bob sad so I generally do not post any photographs. They actually seemed fine to me, especially the ones paired with another bird of the same species. Anyway, the education programs are valuable.

I walked all the way to the Intracoastal Waterway and was fortunate to hear an osprey making a fuss in a tree overlooking the water. He or she seemd displeased with the few visitors that afternoon and I was hoping that he/she wouldn't take some kind of dislike to me as I watched a shot a few photos.

We stopped at Winn-Dixie on the way home and I raced in to grab a few things for the pantry. We had drinks and a picnic supper on the patio. After dinner, I did my quick cleaning of the pool and was dismayed to find a baby turtle in the pool.  I got him out gently and he walked away toward the grass. I was, however, dismayed to see him back in the pool this morning. I got him out with the shallow pool skimmer and off he went into the garden. I made small pool with a sunning rock for him but I haven't figured out what to use as an on-ramp yet. I hope I won't have to make a trip to the turtle pond with him!

No comments: