Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Seminole 2022 - Warhawk Nation and Other Musings

 

Seminole High School is the building on the other side of the fence

Pix

It seems ironic that the most peaceful messages I receive every day are from Seminole High School, with its jingoistic Warhawk Nation brand. I started my week with a recorded blast of the school song, the pledge of allegiance, uplifting messages from the administration, encouragement to all students, and a reminder that these are the last few days before spring break.

Our rental house abuts against the SHS property and we see the kids on the street when we go out at the end of the school day. Because mornings are chilly, they are almost all overdressed for afternoon heat, and I couldn't help thinking that many Minnesota kids would prefer to be chilly at the beginning of the day rather than too hot later. Anyway, they look like a cheerful bunch and I love hearing announcements during the day, between the period bells. I wrote a note to the school yesterday, letting them know that positivity and optimism have an impact beyond the student body. I did not mention the opposition of Florida's indigenous people to mascot Wally Warhawk and various other offensive manifestations of school pride. Surely this issue could be resolved to the satisfaction of all parties!

Meanwhile, in war news,  Russia continues its murderous assault on Ukraine. I just heard on NBC that one hundred refugees per minute cross into Poland. The images of displaced people, including so many children and animals, are shocking and so very sad. I can't help remembering the songs of protest during the Vietnam War. 

RIP Laura Nyro whose lyrics to Save the Country are poignantly 60s ... "in my mind I can't study war no more!"

No comments: