Thursday, March 17, 2022

Seminole 2022 - St. Patrick's Day


St. Patrick (Wikipedia)
Happy St. Patrick's Day! I've hardly ever gone out on this day, for a variety of reasons, including crowds, green beer, and false good cheer. Bob associates the day with a meal of corned beef and cabbage (usually greasy and disgusting) and years ago I started making it for him and Chris, who also enjoys it. It's grown on me over the years and this morning I have corned beef simmering on the stove because I don't want to babysit the oven later in the day. Once it's tender I'll simply refrigerate and save for later.
Our Lady of Kyyv (tweeted by Fr. James Martin, SJ

Yesterday I walked to Winn-Dixie and picked up cabbage, red potatoes, carrots and Irish soda bread. When I prepare at least they won't be cooked to death. We'll eat on the patio as we usually do. A quiet day, one more suited for reflection than celebration this year.

It's hard to be on vacation while the war in Ukraine rages on. Last week, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy addressed the British parliament via video and received a standing ovation. On Tuesday, he spoke to the Parliament of Canada. I didn't hear the speech but was touched when I read the trascript and saw that he addressed the Prime Minister as "dear Justin". Zelenskyy spoke virtually to Congress yesterday and to the German parliament this morning. He is fearless, demanding, full of passion. Today's news shows continued relentless bombing of Ukrainian cities.

No comments: